Healthcare Crisis Management
Connecting threads of care
Crisis management is an integral part of a healthcare provider’s stakeholder and public relations plan. It means that the organization will have a timelier, more strategic reaction in the case of an adverse event or emergency.
It is also a vital piece for families of patients should a health crisis occur. Having an action plan in place during a medical crisis can make a huge difference to all parties when time is of the essence.
How We Help
We at Care Weavers know how devastating a healthcare crisis can be. For years, we have helped patients develop crisis management plans that can be quickly and easily implemented at the first sign of a medical crisis in Charlotte and beyond. We work directly with the healthcare team during any medical crisis to present and explain options and provide vital support to patients, their families, and medical personnel. We go over areas such as:
- Which team members should stay with the family or remain available all the time as information is being gathered about the crisis and passed on
- Providing contact information for people capable of answering questions and giving updates
- What administrative processes can be suspended as patients and their families deal with the aftermath of a crisis
- Transparency about investigations and the disclosure/debriefing process
- The focus on healing, emotional well-being, and constructive paths forward
- What support services and home changes/modifications patients may need after an emergency event
The most competent crisis management teams ensure that action plans are updated, practiced, and reassessed as patient needs change.
That’s because we understand that the efficiency and effectiveness of a crisis management plan depend on the parties staying on top of developments — whether it is a change in the patient’s health or in the healthcare team members or external factors that may impact or exacerbate a crisis.
What Is Crisis Management in Healthcare?
Crisis management is the process through which a healthcare provider deals with an emergency situation. At Care Weavers, we know that a significant clinical event or emergency can thrust a health organization into a dire situation.
Apart from the negative effects of the situation itself, there could be serious fallout with patients, their families, stakeholders, and other parties. That is why we help people receiving medical treatment, their loved ones, and staff to generate a reliable crisis action plan.
Benefits of Crisis Management
Having a crisis management plan in place can benefit a healthcare organization in numerous ways. A good crisis management strategy will prevent or minimize undesirable outcomes, such as:
- Stakeholder fallout, board resignations
- Funders backing out
- Political support being withdrawn
- Bad public image or publicity
- No longer attracting high-caliber talent
- Negatively affecting patient confidence
- Losing control of the public relations narrative
- Creating additional stress for frontline staff
- Needing to focus on communications rather than operations
- Higher risk of a lawsuit
- Harassment or attempted direct communication with particular personnel
Who Needs Crisis Management?
Crisis management benefits a number of parties in the healthcare sector, including:
- The organization itself (its board of directors and other executive functions) — for example, being able to do damage control at the earliest instance may prevent negatively affected parties from suing and will allow people to get the operations of the organization on track more quickly.
- Doctors and medical personnel — proper crisis management will provide a buffer between personnel and opposing parties, which is vital for maintaining consistency in communications (and avoiding litigation).
- Frontline staff — these people usually carry the brunt of the chaos, whether it’s dealing with angry or concerned patients (and their families) or fielding phone calls and badgering from media and other parties with whom they shouldn’t share information.
- Patients and their families — having a crisis management strategy in place will organize communication and updates. It also ensures that patients and their families are not kept in the dark, helps to maintain patient confidence in the organization and its personnel, and avoids causing additional stress that can affect or delay healing.
None of us expects to have a debilitating fall or healthcare crisis.
Imagine suffering an accident or medical emergency. Then think about what it is like to be in the hospital isolated from loved ones in a debilitated state. You are getting information from multiple doctors and specialists, while having to make potentially life altering decisions quickly. Accidents and unexpected health emergencies can have lifelong repercussions and often require the need for rehabilitation, specialized support services and changes in the home setting.
Return to stable ground
If you or a loved one are in this situation, it can feel like a never ending roller coaster ride. Care Weavers has the experience in helping patients and clients get through a health crisis and get to a place of stability. Whether you are here in Charlotte or across the country we can come to your aid or that of a loved one during an emergency or crisis to get the answers you need to make informed decisions.
Do I or My Family Need Crisis Management?
If you or a loved one has health issues and continual medical treatment, you should have a crisis management plan in place. Should a healthcare crisis occur, you want to get back to stable ground and know that there are steps in place to help you do just that.
Knowing what to do if something unexpected occurs will not only minimize confusion and get all parties on the same page but also get the ball rolling on the healing process. Instead of wasting precious time trying to figure out everyone’s responsibilities and what needs to be done, people simply step into the roles they have already been assigned. The path forward is coordinated, timely, and strategic.
Contact us today to get started on a crisis management strategy for you or your family member. It is not something that should be put off.
I would HIGHLY recommend CareWeavers!! The help that I received from them has absolutely been invaluable!! If you need guidance with caring for an elderly parent or family member and you are not sure where to turn regarding facilities and ongoing care, please call CareWeavers in Charlotte. They are wonderful! I can’t say enough great things about this company. Cindy’s knowledge of the ever changing healthcare system is remarkable. She is compassionate and caring and helps take a lot of stress off your shoulders.
There aren’t enough words or accolades I could give to Care Weavers for their help with my mom. Their knowledge and expertise were only surpassed by their care and compassion. I HIGHLY recommend them.
Care Weavers was invaluable in assisting me and my family when my mother suffered a stroke. I very quickly had to make numerous medical, financial and emotional decisions regarding my mother’s care needs. The Care Weavers team provided knowledgeable, personalized and expedient support throughout the progression of my mother’s illness. They researched and visited rehab and nursing facilities with me and helped make sense of quality scores and outcomes. I would highly recommend their services.
“Professional and very attentive to patients and family. Knowledgeable about healthcare and navigating through the system. Provided advice and so much help to us and the patient with Alzheimers. We couldn’t have done everything without them. Highly recommend Care Weavers!!!”
A wrap around service like yours is exactly what we need in healthcare. Care Weavers’ coordination of the many aspects of the care continuum to support our aging community is invaluable.
My senior mother is diagnosed with multiple co-occurring disorders that cause her a great deal of pain, and confusion. Compounding the situation, she was hospitalized for 13 days. The treatment plan alone is a lot to take in. Add to that, trying to organize the opinions of multiple specialists, moms emotional/mental state, and trying to take care of my own family, I quickly became overwhelmed. Enter Cindy from Care Weavers. I don’t think I could have survived this weekend without her expertise, assistance, and ability to navigate a complicated hospital stay. Without hesitation, I highly recommend her service should you find yourself into the position of caring for an aging loved one.
I am an avid tri-athlete. After a neck injury, I had seen an orthopedic surgeon who recommended extensive surgery that would have required 6-9 months rehabilitation. Care Weavers researched my injury and with their guidance, helped me obtain a second opinion from a physician who was interested in understanding my needs and goals. I had a successful less invasive out-patient surgical procedure that had me back to my training schedule in two months and competing in six. I am grateful for their expertise and services!